The Sachem Alumni Association, Inc. has officially launched the Sachem Hall of Honor project. Nominations are now open for the first induction class, which will be recognized in 2017.
The Hall of Honor seeks to recognize alumni who have achieved extraordinary success in their chosen field or have provided exemplary service to the school district. The goal of the Hall of Honor is to promote school and community pride. Hall of Honor members provide an excellent resource for career advisement and networking for current and future students.
“This has been a goal of mine since I was a student at Sachem High School,” said Chris R. Vaccaro, Class of 2004, President of the Sachem Alumni Association. “To recognize accomplished individuals from Sachem’s vast alumni base is a key mission of our newly formed alumni association. We have a rich and storied tradition of graduating incredibly successful people who care deeply about their Sachem roots. It’s our goal to establish a connection between current students and extraordinary alumni, to show real-world examples of success.”
Selections for the first induction class will be announced in February. A selection committee consisting of Sachem Alumni Association executive board members, district representatives, student representatives and community representatives will make the selections.
One important element of the Hall of Honor is for our students to interact with the inductees. It’s expected that inductees take part in a mentor workshop the week of the induction ceremony, as well as take time to speak in a new alumni “speaker series” that will debut after the inaugural induction. Students will also be involved in the induction ceremony and will help formally induct the honorees.
- Nominations will be accepted from December 25 through January 25
- Nominees and inductees must be alumni of Sachem and graduated at least 10 years ago
- Individuals must be nominated by Sachem alumni or past/present Sachem teachers
- Individuals must demonstrate outstanding career success
- Person cannot be inducted into the Hall of Honor and the Athletic Hall of Fame in the same school or calendar year, but can eventually be inducted in both
- For the first year of induction, inductees cannot work within the school district (FT, PT, board, etc.), but this option is open to all following the first year
- For the first year of induction, inductees cannot be members of the Hall of Honor induction/selection committee, but this option is open to all following the first year
- All nomination forms must be submitted via email to SachemAlumni@gmail.com
The Sachem Hall of Honor is completely supported and funded through the Sachem Alumni Association and the Hall of Honor will live in the central corridor of Sachem High School North.
There is also a Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame. While the Athletic Hall of Fame is meant to honor successful alumni, coaches and administrators for success in sports, the Hall of Honor is meant to honor alumni in various disciplines and backgrounds.