The Sachem Alumni Association, Inc. officially launched the Sachem Hall of Honor in 2017. Nominations are currently being accepted for the Class of 2018 starting Dec. 12 and they will be accepted through March 1.
The Hall of Honor seeks to recognize alumni who have achieved extraordinary success in their chosen field or have provided exemplary service to the school district.
The goal of the Hall of Honor is to promote school and community pride. Hall of Honor members provide an excellent resource for career advisement and networking for current and future students.
“This has been a goal of mine since I was a student at Sachem High School,” said Chris R. Vaccaro, Class of 2004, President and Founder of the Sachem Alumni Association. “To recognize select and accomplished individuals in Sachem’s vast alumni base is a key mission of our alumni association. We have a rich and storied tradition of graduating incredibly successful people who care deeply about their Sachem roots. It’s our goal to establish a connection between current students and extraordinary alumni, to show that real-world success stories can start in the halls at Sachem.”
Selections for the second induction class will be announced in March. A selection committee consisting of Sachem Alumni Association executive board members, district representatives, student representatives and community representatives will make the selections.
One important element of the Hall of Honor is for our students to interact with the inductees. It’s expected that inductees take part in a mentor workshop the week of the induction ceremony, as well as take time to speak in a new alumni “speaker series” that debuted earlier this year. Select students will also be involved in the induction ceremony and will help formally induct the honorees.
- Nominations will be accepted from December 12 through March 1
- Nominees and inductees must be alumni of Sachem
- Nominees and inductees must have graduated at least 10 years ago
- Individuals must be nominated by Sachem alumni or past/present Sachem teachers
- Individuals must demonstrate outstanding career success
- Individuals cannot be inducted into the Hall of Honor and the Athletic Hall of Fame in the same school or calendar year, but can eventually be inducted in both
- All nominees will remain on the ballot for three years and need at least 25 percent of the vote to remain on the ballot for a fourth year and beyond
- There will be 10 inductees each year
- All nomination forms must be submitted via email to SachemAlumni@gmail.com
The Sachem Hall of Honor is completely supported and funded through the Sachem Alumni Association. The Hall of Honor lives in the central corridor of Sachem High School North.
Note that there is also a Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame. While the Hall of Fame is meant to honor successful alumni, coaches and administrators for success on the athletic fields, the Hall of Honor is meant to honor alumni in various disciplines and backgrounds.
Please follow the Sachem Alumni Association on Facebook.com/SachemAlumni, like us on Twitter @SachemAlumni and visit SachemAlumni.org for more information.