The Sachem Alumni Association, in conjunction with the Sachem Athletic Department, is proud to announce the Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame Class of 2017.
All inductees will be honored at a ceremony on October 7, which begins at 10 a.m. at Sachem High School North. Additionally, inductees will be recognized during halftime of the homecoming game at North on Friday, October 6.
This marks the third induction of the Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame, which inducted its first class in 2003.
“Last year’s Class of 2016 was the first in 13 years, and we vowed to keep this going so we can continue to honor Sachem’s finest in athletics,” said Chris R. Vaccaro, ’04, founder and president of the Sachem Alumni Association. “Sachem has long been an institution with a proud tradition of excellence in athletics and we will honor the fine individuals who helped put us and keep us on the map.”
“The Sachem Athletic Department is proud and honored to be a part of inducting some of the top athletes and coaches in Sachem history,” said Gary Beutel, ’87, Sachem’s Director of Physical Education, Athletics and Health Education. “We wish every inductee congratulations and thank them for their efforts in representing our school district with pride and honor.”
All inductees are nominated by a committee of current inductees and Sachem coaching legends.
The Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame Class of 2017 includes the following (you can learn more about every individual when we post full induction capsules and photos about them following the ceremony):
- Joe Amplo, lacrosse and football
- Daniel Brienza, soccer
- Matt Brisson, coach
- Brian Brecht, lacrosse
- John Carvalheira, wrestling
- Jeanna Composti Sondag, track and field
- Matt DiStefano, volleyball and basketball
- Patty Fabian Scaturro, three-sport athlete
- Michael Farley, three-sport athlete
- Mike Falcon, wrestling
- Bill Kropp, coach and athlete
- Chris LaMorte, gymnastics
- Steve Lorincz, coach
- Pat Metcalf, coach
- Pete Montalbano, coach
- Mike O’Flaherty, coach
- Kathleen O’Reilly, three-sport athlete
- Linda Otten, administrator
- Tony Petillo, coach and athlete
- Eric Reichenbach, baseball
- Steve Rich, coach
- Shannon Weeks McCormack, track and field
- Mike Westscott, coach
- Wayne Wilson, three-sport athlete
- Alex Young, coach
- Tom Zambrotta, gymnastics